Elementary Computer Science Grant Opportunities
Funds from the Iowa DoE will provide BootUp's district-wide professional development and support for a truly sustainable elementary computer science initiative!
Iowa DoE will fund up to $10,000 for K-5!
- Four (3-hour) PD Sessions for up to 45 Teachers
- 12 hours of onsite Model Teaching and Coaching
- all curriculum and resources needed (with no ongoing costs/subscriptions
- Instructional Coach Course (1-2 hours asynchronous course between PD sessions)
- Consulting - district-wide implementation support
- BootUp can provide support In-Person, Blended, or Virtually.
Information about the grants:
- Districts can request funds up to a maximum of $10,000 for K-5.
- The grant will prioritize schools/districts that do not have any computer science instruction in place, at each grade band, as of September 1, 2021.
- Professional Development must begin between June 1, 2022 - October 1, 2022.
- Please review additional details from the Iowa DoE at: https://educateiowa.gov/pk-12/instruction/computer-science/computer-science-curriculum-and-professional-development-grants
Grant applications for this funding are open until all funds are awarded.
For more information, or support writing your grant, please contact Suzanne Carlson at email@example.com.
Why Computer Science is more important than ever
According to Code.org, multiple studies show that students learning computer science perform better in reading, math, and science in primary school; score better on standardized AP exams in secondary school; are 17% more likely to enroll in university; and perform better at problem-solving from primary school to university.
The opportunity lies in preparing teachers with the essential skills needed to integrate computer science into their classrooms for equitable access to all students. The investment in teachers and students will yield significant returns in increasing students' confidence, communication, and critical thinking skills, vital for future leaders.
As the popularity of coding grows, the equity gap is growing even faster. Fortunately, the solution is one click away. Through long-term professional development, BootUp trains teachers to empower all elementary students as they become creators, collaborators, communicators, and real-world problem-solvers.
BootUp coaches teachers to engage students through easy-to-use, block-based programming languages (Scratch and ScratchJr) and lessons that include interactive stories, games, music, and more. With BootUp, computer science is elementary for all.
Learn how to put the Iowa Funding to work for your district. Click HERE