Welcome to the Wind River Elementary CS Collaborative
What is the Wind River Elementary CS Collaborative?
The Wind River Elementary CS Collaborative is a partnership between the Wyoming Department of Education, the American Institutes for Research, BootUp PD, Partner to Improve and three Wyoming school districts (Fremont County School District #38, Fremont County School District #21, and Fremont County School District #14). The goals of the Wind River Elementary CS Collaborative:
- Develop and refine two culturally relevant computer science units and teacher professional development with teachers of Grades 3–5 on the Wind River Reservation.
- Build Grades 3–5 teachers’ interest in, knowledge of, and ability to bring computer science to their students through English language arts and social studies.
- Teach computer science concepts to Grades 3–5 students in a culturally relevant way.
STEM Video Showcase
- October 2019 – The Wind River CS Collaborative received funding from National Science Foundation
- December 2019 - Traveled to Wind River Reservation to discuss the project with the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapaho business councils.
- February 2020 - Project team traveled to Wind River Reservation to conduct focus groups to discuss strengths of the community and cultures of the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapaho.
- May 2020 - AIR team sent findings of focus groups to Fort Washakie, Fremont #38, and Wyoming Indian Schools superintendents.
- July 2020 - BootUp created the first draft of the culturally relevant curricular units.
- August 2020 - BootUp team performed its first professional development session with Fort Washakie teachers.
- January – March 2021 - AIR recruited and gathered feedback from the Wind River Community on the first draft of the curriculum about cultural sacredness
- March – April 2021: AIR and WDE conducted meetings with the superintendents and leaders of Fremont #21, Fremont #38, and Wyoming Indian Schools
- Summer 2021: The Wind River CS Collaborative hosted an art competition for K-12 students at Fremont #21, Fremont #38, and Wyoming Indian Schools to contribute pieces for the curricular units.
- Curriculum Resources: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gP97v9o3VYPAfM5fEXTkKTJjrDctvHjv0OYYtgSYxfs/edit?usp=sharing
- Teacher Self-Efficacy Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZJjlJxMOL0c1idQY-kOwvCMtUJIo9fwsSAxibMfQXlE/edit?usp=sharing
- Professional Development Feedback Survey: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/12GcA0qDemsuI58NkVS2dyepENHHdxhKI9v-k6H79poo/edit?usp=sharing
- Professional Learning Collaborative Meeting Feedback Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1G8h1coyPj281LXdtHK2B8As-bk5oZ85A2tDLRUz6WpM/edit?usp=sharing