Music

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

How could you integrate coding with music? What BootUp projects (platform and lesson number) integrate well with this subject area? What additional ideas, resources, projects, etc. might assist with this kind of integration?

See this studio for some ideas.

Jared OLearyJared OLeary
      Keymaster

Previous responses:

• Here are some ScratchEd resources on music that might be useful.
      • Here are some free resources on my website that relate to music and coding.
      • I am actually teaching a blended music and coding class. There are lots of ways to integrate. Sheet music is similar to code in that they are both specific directions (sheet music for musicians and code for computers). Also, I’m going to have students code a sprite to dance to a specific song. There are lots of other integrations too but those are just a couple basic ones.
      • I used the coder resources for the animate your name project but gave my students the following instructions:

1. Choose a musical term
        2. Decide how you will explain the term using Scratch
        3. Log in to Scratch
        4. Using Scratch explain the word. This can include the appearance of your word changing, the way it moves, etc. It can also include additional sprites you include and what those sprites do. Example: if you’re doing a dynamic include sprites whose sounds are typically at that dynamic.
        5. Once you have the finished demonstrating that you understand the word you chose, make your project interesting and pretty (add backgrounds, etc).
      Alexandra WilliamsAlexandra Williams
      Participant

With Scratch Jr and the starry night project #4. The student are going to record ambient sounds using various instrument in my room. the sound effects can be used to create a stormy night or space noises or other sound effects…

Participant

With Scratch Jr and the under the sea project #5. There is a song called Charlie over the ocean, and when the students click on an animal the students will record them singing the song with that animal in it.
      so for the whale:
      “Charlie over the ocean” echo
      “Charlie over the sea” echo
      “Charlie caught big whale” echo
      “can’t catch me” echo

then change the whale to another animal when a different animal is pressed.

Participant

Using Scratch Junior, I had my students code scratch cat or Tic to follow my slide whistle. If I start high, it has to also start high and then cat/tic has to follow the direction of the whistle. going up and down, half way up, half way down, 2 up 1 down, etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.